2017 Sorority Rush Experience

June 21, 2017
I always knew I was going to rush for a sorority. After watching all those sorority movies growing up I knew this was definitely something I wanted to be a part of. All my friends in high school could totally see me being in one. Once I got to college and registration for spring rush was happening, I couldn't be any happier. This would be a time I would find great new friends and I would have many "sisters."

My experience during rush was not what I expected at all. Of two choices I recieved a bid from the sorority I preferred and gave it a chance. I participated in all the new member activities, where I met nice people from my pledge class. Everything was going well, but in the back of my mind I was thinking about the expense and how sorority activities would be demanding of my free time.

I stayed with the chapter for about three weeks and after much consideration, I dropped the sorority. I was slowly realizing that sorority life was very consuming of my time and felt that it was very cliquey. In the midst of this happening, I did make friends with some of the girls. I thought we could remain friends after I dropped the sorority, but the truth is, a few girls stopped contact with me. Thankfully there are still some girls I can call my friends.

 I do not regret dropping the sorority. I have all this free time to focus on myself and my school work and get involved in other clubs on campus.  I also was able to start saving money that would be spent on future travel experiences.  It took longer than I thought, but I am slowly finding good genuine friends who are in sororities and some that are not.

Overall, a big take away from this was things don't always go as planned and all you can do is roll with the punches and give it a shot.   

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment