My Elon Experience in a Nutshell

May 24, 2020
All I can hear is my cousin telling me how college is going to be the best four years of my life. I didn’t believe him. Two months in I was lonely. Struggling to find my people. On the brink of being depressed. The one thing in my life that was bringing me joy was looking forward to going to the Kernodle Center every day to do my job. People really listened to me there and I always had Nicole’s shoulder to cry on. All I wanted to have was a solid friend group. I kept on going on lunch dates with people I would meet in the hopes that we would click but it never really worked. I was still determined to put myself out there. I was patiently waiting to rush a sorority but it didn’t turn out as planned and could not handle the responsibilities. I was ready to transfer to Marist. Then my parents paid for me to go to Disney World for a spring break class. I met Julia. She was my first real, genuine friend. She wanted to be my friend as bad as I wanted to be hers. She invited me out to places and I felt so included. I finally had someone to party with. Julia helped me realize how important relationships are and that they are a two-way street. Then at the end of freshman year I took a chance and went up to Taylor in the dining hall because I knew that if I didn’t I would never see her again. 


Sophomore year came and this would be the test to see if I was going to stay at Elon. I took a chance and went random and it finally paid off. I had Nicole as a roommate and Abby as a suitemate. Abby and Nicole were the light in my Elon experience that I needed. They appreciated my craziness and my kindness. Nicole taught me the importance of working really hard and to challenge myself. At this point, I knew that Public Relations was for me. Professor Doorley told me I should consider applying to PRWeek Student Competition and so I did and I received an award for being in the top 5 in the country. This is really what made me a competitive candidate when I applied for internships. On the other hand, Abby taught me how important it is to let loose. We were the three musketeers. I also started getting closer to Taylor, Erin and Kaylie and would often spend my Saturday’s pregaming with y’all. I also joined Kappa Delta. I knew I wanted to be part of this organization because they stressed the power of confidence and that is something that I had and wanted to share it with my sisters. Although I wasn’t as involved as I hoped I really met some amazing girls that I will always be friends forever.


Junior year, I took a chance and lived with Anna and Pam. Really a kickass living situation. We were constantly partying that whole semester. We were wild. This was the first semester that my parents never visited. That is how good it was. I really came out of my shell and formed great relationships with the boys in Pikap. I was thriving so much that I almost considered not going abroad. But thank god I did. Florence brought the greatest group of people together and is what really made the experience so special to me. I had a great apartment and loved hosting our Duomo parties.  Hospitable right? Seems fitting. Getting my internship at Hilton was the icing on top. After spending two years acquiring amazing internships with the help of Danielle and Amber I finally got my dream internship that ended in an offer.


Now we are in senior year. I was going to be under the same roof with some of my closest friends who I would only be getting closer to. This year was unimaginable. Of course, I wish we met sooner but I have to remember that all my hardships led me to where I am. Being a part of Mill Point 451 and being in the 'Bestest Friends' group was the crew that I needed. I have people within our community who I can cry with. Laugh with. Get drunk with and be me. That is all I ever wanted and I finally found it. 


This year I really learned the importance of making the most of every moment. Never stay in. Take advantage of every night. And spend time with those who deserve your attention. Friendships will always be important to me and nothing will ever change that. 


In my Elon 101 class freshman year our TA shared this story with me that I always had on the back of my mind which really shaped my college experience. She told me that one day her friend was crying but she had an upcoming exam and she shared that she decided to not study and to help her friend. My TA failed the exam. But that didn’t matter. All that mattered was that her friend was okay.  That is who I wanted to be for the next four years and I feel like it's safe to say that I would do anything for any of my friends. 


Now, looking back. College was not the best four years of my life but it was the most exciting roller coaster I have been on.

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment