Napoli, Italy

March 10, 2019








Friday 

This is one of the first trips where the adventure began on a Friday morning. AEF paid for us to go to Naples for the weekend. Once we arrived it was literally like 34th Street/Time Square vibes. There were so many people and it was very dirty. We walked from the train station to the Luna Hotel. Would not be my personal first choice but AEF paid for it!

After we left the hotel we went to get Napoli’s famous pizza! We ate outside at Tote e Peppino. I ordered a personal pie with ham and mushrooms for only 6 euros. Super filling and delicious! It is much more inexpensive here than it is in Florence. After lunch, we got gelato of course! Dark chocolate and coffee flavors! Then we started our adventure of walking around the city. We walked to the Santa Chiara and saw beautiful mosaic tiled walls surrounding a garden. Then we went to the Cappella Sansevero which featured the Veiled Christ. Shortly after we walked back to the hotel to get ready for our opera show at the Teatro Di San Carlo.

We took the subway or metro as they call it to the area of Spacca Napoli. It was a totally different vibe. Much cleaner and closer to the water. We received our ticket and discovered we did not have seats, we had boxes. There were other people in the box but I was fortunate to be near the front where I could see the stage. The orchestra was amazing. I wish I could appreciate the opera but it is hard when you don’t know what the women is singing. After making it through two songs, most of us met at the bar and decided it would be best for us to get dinner. We walked along the water and found a pier with a ton of options. We ate at Transatlantico. Shanley, Taylor, Katie and I ate dinner. I ordered ricotta spaghetti alle vongole (spaghetti with clams) and some tiramisu. We ordered white wine too because that is what you drink with seafood. Cultured. The bread for the table was sourdough which was a pleasant surprise but I have noticed that it seems to be a thing in Napoli. Although a little chilly it was nice sitting outside on the water! 

Saturday

Woke up around 7:00 AM and ate the hotel breakfast. Breakfast in Italy consists of meats, cheese, croissants and cappuccinos. I ate a croissant and cereal. Then off for the day. We took a bus Castel Nuovo. Outside the castle were tons of palm trees.  After we hopped on the bus to go back to Piazza Plebscito. We heard from a man who spoke about the mafia which was interesting. It was an hour and a half and at that point, we were all tired and hungry. After, Kate, Amanda, Hannah and Laura and I ate at Cavoli Nostri. I got a vegetarian taco. Then I wanted to try a sfogliatella or lobster tail but it was not good. Very upsetting. I think I could have got a better one at Riester’s bakery at home. 

Shortly after we made our way to the underground caves. Nothing to rave about but historically it was interesting to learn about. We walked through very thin ally ways. For dinner, AEF was paying and Annie and I split a caprese and sausage pizza! Had a small bottle of wine as well. The bottle literally had 14.7% alcohol. I had the pleasure of sitting next to my homies, Andrew, Will and Shanley! 

Sunday

Sunday, we woke up early to go to Pompeii. We had a guided tour with a man who has given tours to Bradley Cooper and Meryl Streep! So amazing. There were like other people walking taking pictures of him which was so funny. Pompeii was really nothing other I have ever seen. I never realized that it was a city until I learn about it. Mount Vesuvius is literally in their backyard. We also viewed dead bodies covered in ash which was so fascinating. After Pompeii, Kevin, Tony and Hana and I grabbed pizza in Spacca Napoli. Nothing to rave about. Then we went to an amazing gelato place, Casa Infante. I got a biscotti flavor and coffee. I literally asked for what they recommended and the women gave me seven flavors. I already gave a great review on TripAdvisor! 

Once we head back to the train I quickly realize that I no longer have my Airpods. Then, I realize a gash in my backpack. It was stolen. So I tell my mom and then she goes, "where is your passport?" Gone. Thanks, Naples! 

Tips: 


  • Be sure to have your eyes on your belongings 
  • Stay in a safe area 
  • Don’t walk alone at night 
  • Eat loads of pizza
  • Be careful when crossing the streets. Confidence is key. They will stop for you. 
  • If you have time, visit the other areas of Naples






Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment